As you all propably know by this time - it is time for Jozi Pride again this Saturday. But through the selections of outfits, waxing and hair appointments some of you might have asked yourself if is Pride still relevant? A very intersting article was posted on Mambaonline about the relevance of Pride. Some reasons lised why Pride is still important was:
1. It's a celebration of our sexual identity and culture.
2. It celebrates the freedoms and liberties that we have gained thus far.
3. It ensures that we do not forget those who fought for those rights.
4. It provides visibility for a community that is largely ignored by others.
5. It's an opportunity to show that we have no shame in our lives and identities.
6. It provides a platform for LGBT groups and interests.
7. It’s a safe space for young LGBT people to come out.
8. It provides a political space to demand and lobby for equality and civil rights.
9. It shows to the world that we do exist in significant numbers and cannot be ignored.
10. It provides media coverage for issues that may affect us.
11. It allows our friends and families to show their support for us.
12. It is a social space for LGBT people who may otherwise be isolated from others.
13. It shows solidarity with our brothers and sisters around the globe who remain oppressed.
14. It’s a beacon of hope on a continent that is largely unfriendly to LGBT people.
15. It is a uniquely gay experience in world that is overwhelmingly straight.
16. It helps us remember that our freedom is always at risk.
17. It allows us to interact with those in our community who we don't usually get to interact with.
18. It reflects the diversity and broadness of the LGBT community.
19. And finally, it's also just a fantastic way to have a great time!
Click on the title-link to read the full story on MambaOnline